Topics

How can I test & experiment with my new IP Phone?

Herb Weiner

There was a recent message on the PSDR (Puget Sound Data Ring) that they have been having good success with SNOM 821 refurbished phones from Amazon, so I ordered one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716QGP9R) for $29.99 (I see that the price has now gone up to $39.99).

Other than signing up for an IP phone number from Vonage or similar provider, is there any way that I can test and/or experiment with this phone? If necessary, I can assign it a routable IP address.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Herb

Eric Johnson, N7ENG

A lot of people have been using this service...

They basically have a SIP server available, I personally haven't used this yet, but i'm sure they are pretty good to use.
Eric

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:
There was a recent message on the PSDR (Puget Sound Data Ring) that they have been having good success with SNOM 821 refurbished phones from Amazon, so I ordered one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716QGP9R) for $29.99 (I see that the price has now gone up to $39.99).

Other than signing up for an IP phone number from Vonage or similar provider, is there any way that I can test and/or experiment with this phone? If necessary, I can assign it a routable IP address.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Herb

Eric Johnson, N7ENG

Here is a bit more information from the Seattle HamWan people about IP Phones.

The short answer is we run a pair of servers running the Asterisk PBX software. We currently use pacemaker/corosync for the highly available aspects, though I don’t know that I’d recommend that path. Typically FXOs will refer to hardline ports, which is fine, though probably significantly more expensive and hassle prone than you’d like. We just use a SIP provider over the public internet upstream for inbound/outbound with the rest of the world which is easy and cheap.

Eric

Jonathan Bezayiff, AD7NY

If you just want to play with voip, a provider that I use, is https://voip.ms/ their rates are reasonable, and they do offer local DID (dial in device) numbers too.

I am currently building out an old server I own, to play with more recent versions of Asterix (the PDX core in voip systems) when I get to a point where I feel things are secure and stable enough I will put it on my network and make it “testable”

There was a recent message on the PSDR (Puget Sound Data Ring) that they have been having good success with SNOM 821 refurbished phones from Amazon, so I ordered one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716QGP9R) for $29.99 (I see that the price has now gone up to $39.99).

Other than signing up for an IP phone number from Vonage or similar provider, is there any way that I can test and/or experiment with this phone? If necessary, I can assign it a routable IP address.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Herb

Herb Weiner

Thanks, Eric. I have submitted a Hamshack Hotline helpdesk ticket to setup my phone.

Herb

On Apr 26, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Eric Johnson, N7ENG <Off732@...> wrote:

A lot of people have been using this service...

They basically have a SIP server available, I personally haven't used this yet, but i'm sure they are pretty good to use.
Eric

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:
There was a recent message on the PSDR (Puget Sound Data Ring) that they have been having good success with SNOM 821 refurbished phones from Amazon, so I ordered one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716QGP9R) for $29.99 (I see that the price has now gone up to $39.99).

Other than signing up for an IP phone number from Vonage or similar provider, is there any way that I can test and/or experiment with this phone? If necessary, I can assign it a routable IP address.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Herb

I second the use of HamshackHotline. I use it and it works great and is easy to set up a conference bridge. It uses the Internet but I believe it could become part of OHW.  They use Cisco telephone adapters (SPA112) or voip phones like SPA303, 504G, 941/942 or 525G.

-mike

Scott Burrows <sburrows97211@...>

I think Hamshack Hotline is the best option.

HH4746

I second the use of HamshackHotline. I use it and it works great and is easy to set up a conference bridge. It uses the Internet but I believe it could become part of OHW.  They use Cisco telephone adapters (SPA112) or voip phones like SPA303, 504G, 941/942 or 525G.

-mike

Herb Weiner

Thanks, all. I submitted a ticket a few days ago, and I'm waiting for it to be processed.

Herb