Topics

How can I test & experiment with my new IP Phone?

Herb Weiner

There was a recent message on the PSDR (Puget Sound Data Ring) that they have been having good success with SNOM 821 refurbished phones from Amazon, so I ordered one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716QGP9R) for $29.99 (I see that the price has now gone up to $39.99).

Other than signing up for an IP phone number from Vonage or similar provider, is there any way that I can test and/or experiment with this phone? If necessary, I can assign it a routable IP address.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Herb

Eric Johnson, N7ENG

A lot of people have been using this service...

They basically have a SIP server available, I personally haven't used this yet, but i'm sure they are pretty good to use.
Eric

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:
There was a recent message on the PSDR (Puget Sound Data Ring) that they have been having good success with SNOM 821 refurbished phones from Amazon, so I ordered one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716QGP9R) for $29.99 (I see that the price has now gone up to $39.99).

Other than signing up for an IP phone number from Vonage or similar provider, is there any way that I can test and/or experiment with this phone? If necessary, I can assign it a routable IP address.

Herb

Eric Johnson, N7ENG

Here is a bit more information from the Seattle HamWan people about IP Phones.

The short answer is we run a pair of servers running the Asterisk PBX software. We currently use pacemaker/corosync for the highly available aspects, though I don’t know that I’d recommend that path. Typically FXOs will refer to hardline ports, which is fine, though probably significantly more expensive and hassle prone than you’d like. We just use a SIP provider over the public internet upstream for inbound/outbound with the rest of the world which is easy and cheap.

Eric

Jonathan Bezayiff, AD7NY

If you just want to play with voip, a provider that I use, is https://voip.ms/ their rates are reasonable, and they do offer local DID (dial in device) numbers too.

I am currently building out an old server I own, to play with more recent versions of Asterix (the PDX core in voip systems) when I get to a point where I feel things are secure and stable enough I will put it on my network and make it “testable”

From: oregonhamwan@groups.io on behalf of Herb Weiner <herbw@...>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2019 15:04
To: oregonhamwan@groups.io
Subject: [oregonhamwan] How can I test & experiment with my new IP Phone?

Herb

Herb Weiner

Thanks, Eric. I have submitted a Hamshack Hotline helpdesk ticket to setup my phone.

Herb

On Apr 26, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Eric Johnson, N7ENG <Off732@...> wrote:

A lot of people have been using this service...

They basically have a SIP server available, I personally haven't used this yet, but i'm sure they are pretty good to use.
Eric

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Herb

I second the use of HamshackHotline. I use it and it works great and is easy to set up a conference bridge. It uses the Internet but I believe it could become part of OHW.  They use Cisco telephone adapters (SPA112) or voip phones like SPA303, 504G, 941/942 or 525G.

-mike

Scott Burrows <sburrows97211@...>

I think Hamshack Hotline is the best option.

HH4746

----- Original Message -----
Reply-To: <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io>
To: <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io>
Sent: 4/27/2019 9:05:53 AM
Subject: Re: [oregonhamwan] How can I test & experiment with my new IP Phone?

I second the use of HamshackHotline. I use it and it works great and is easy to set up a conference bridge. It uses the Internet but I believe it could become part of OHW.  They use Cisco telephone adapters (SPA112) or voip phones like SPA303, 504G, 941/942 or 525G.

-mike

Herb Weiner

Thanks, all. I submitted a ticket a few days ago, and I'm waiting for it to be processed.

Herb

On Apr 28, 2019, at 7:32 PM, Scott Burrows <sburrows97211@...> wrote:

HH4746

Sent: 4/27/2019 9:05:53 AM
Subject: Re: [oregonhamwan] How can I test & experiment with my new IP Phone?

-mike

K7ICY/ Ken Tolliver

I put a Ticket Request in at Hamshack Hotline to get my Cisco SPA-303 3-Line IP Phone connected. Actually, it's just on loan from Jonathan. He dropped by last night and helped me with a Network problem on my Home Network, and then he gave me the phone to try out. 

Awhile back Jonathan picked up a few of the Cisco SPA-303's at Goodwill at a very good price. Thanks, Jonathan for sharing one with me. 

As far as the HamWAN  Planning Mtg it looks like Herb, Mike G., and Eric can meet Saturday morning at the Bishop's Storehouse Conference Room. I assume that Scott can make it too from his email.  Eric and Herb can't make it in the afternoon.  

Unless I hear otherwise from you guys, I will plan on meeting at the Bishop's Storehouse on Saturday Morning and unlock it at 9am. 

Ken Tolliver
K7ICY
503-544-7945
ktolliver@...

From: main@oregonhamwan.groups.io <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io> on behalf of Herb Weiner <herbw@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 7:36 PM
To: main@oregonhamwan.groups.io

Thanks, all. I submitted a ticket a few days ago, and I'm waiting for it to be processed.

Herb

HH4746

-mike

Scott Burrows <sburrows97211@...>

works for me … Scott, N7DOD

Reply-To: <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io>
To: <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io>
Sent: 4/28/2019 8:09:45 PM

I put a Ticket Request in at Hamshack Hotline to get my Cisco SPA-303 3-Line IP Phone connected. Actually, it's just on loan from Jonathan. He dropped by last night and helped me with a Network problem on my Home Network, and then he gave me the phone to try out. 

Awhile back Jonathan picked up a few of the Cisco SPA-303's at Goodwill at a very good price. Thanks, Jonathan for sharing one with me. 

As far as the HamWAN  Planning Mtg it looks like Herb, Mike G., and Eric can meet Saturday morning at the Bishop's Storehouse Conference Room. I assume that Scott can make it too from his email.  Eric and Herb can't make it in the afternoon.  

Unless I hear otherwise from you guys, I will plan on meeting at the Bishop's Storehouse on Saturday Morning and unlock it at 9am. 

Ken Tolliver
K7ICY
503-544-7945
ktolliver@...

From: main@oregonhamwan.groups.io <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io> on behalf of Herb Weiner <herbw@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 7:36 PM
To: main@oregonhamwan.groups.io

Herb

HH4746

Reply-To: <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io>
To: <main@oregonhamwan.groups.io>

-mike