Topics

Parts for HamWAN Server

K7ICY/ Ken Tolliver

This email is mostly for Eric; but the rest of the Team--Please check to see if you have any of the memory things that Eric needs for the HamWAN server he's building up.

Eric:

Has anyone produced any of the memory or hard drives that you need for the server?

I think this is the list of stuff you need
A.   Used 2TB or 4TB, 2.5 or 3.5 inch SATA Hard drives
B.   Used DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • UNBUFFERED • ECC  RAM
C.   Used DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024MEG X 72" 8GB sticks of RAM

I don't have any of it. My computer bone yard just has ancient dinosaur bones in it. It was like strolling down Memory Lane; A 5 1/4" Floppy Drive here, and a CD-ROM drive there. And the stack of I think 4GB Hard Drives sitting on the desk. Well, at least it prompted me to send most of it to the recycle. Cleaned my desk up a bit too. Thanks for the motivation.

I did see that Fry's has a 2TB Portable USB-3 Harddrive for $59 today.  Would that help? If so, I'll order it. I assume you can use it via USB or gut it and hard mount it.

Anyway, I will put $100 towards getting your server going. That can be $59 for the hard drive and $41 to you to get stuff; or I can just PayPal you the $100. I'd do more, but Social Security Disability makes things a bit tight. Let me know what you want me to do with the $100. (My son gave me $100 of mad money for my Birthday Sunday.)

I appreciate all of the work you have put into the HamWAN Project. You and several others kind of help keep things on an even keel. And you can explain things so that even a non-network guy like me can understand them. The OSPF Music Video was weird; but kind of funny too. [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPtr43KHBGk ]

Keep it up.
&
Thank You!

73

Ken Tolliver
K7ICY
503-544-7945
ktolliver@...

Jonathan Bezayiff, AD7NY

If we don’t need 7200 rpm, this is a good option, it’s like 5900 rpm, but it is enterprise grade storage (think NAS or near store backup type drive)  https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Terascale-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000NC001/dp/B00E262AHO/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2GYFVIA59W305&keywords=seagate+4tb+internal+hard+drive&qid=1557858208&s=gateway&sprefix=Seagate+4tb%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-8

[...]

Herb Weiner

Thanks, Jonathan. I have always been partial to Seagate, and I believe we would be better off purchasing an internal SATA drive rather than USB.

Herb

On May 14, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Jonathan Bezayiff, AD7NY <KD7VVH@...> wrote:

[...]

<image.png>

Eric Johnson, N7ENG

Thanks Ken for that!

I believe what will benefit us most now and down the road is a pair of either 2TB or 4TB hdd's that are 3.5 inch.

The server has space for 2x 3.5 inch hdds, that will be run on RAID 1 for redundancy. So that if one drive fails, most likely the server will still stay up.

USB or not, the guts are still SATA regardless.

That all said, I would love to have a 2TB HDD if that's what you would like to spend your "Mad Money" on ^_^

I can also see what eBay has in terms of 4TB hdd's, they might be about the same price.

Eric

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 11:50 Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:
[...]

David Mandrell, K7MGG

Hi Eric,

I just looked in the parts bin at work.  I have a brand new 2TB Seagate laptop drive.  It's a 9.5mm height so it didn't fit the laptop it was bought for.  I also have a used WD Blue 500GB and Seagate Barracuda 1.5GB drive that could be donated.  Unfortunately, I don't have two similar drives that would work well for a RAID 1 setup.  Let me know if any of these would be useful to you.

David.
--
David Mandrell
mandrelld@...

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 5:51 PM Eric Johnson, N7ENG <Off732@...> wrote:
[...]

David,

The 2tb and 1.5tb HDD would work for us!
Thanks for the donation!

Eric